Beetroot is a vegetable native to Southern Europe and a member of the Amaranthaceae family.
Depending on the variety, beetroots often consist of a deep red or purple hue and are commonly boiled, baked, and pickled.
- Low in calories, fat, and cholesterol which promotes weight loss and prevents cardiovascular disease. (1)
- An excellent source of fibre which helps to ease digestion and even prevent diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome. (2)
- A great source of magnesium which helps to soften joints and prevent cramps as well as provide neuron protection. (3) (4)
- An excellent source of vitamin C and folate that prevents infections and anaemia respectively. (5)
- Contains potassium which is necessary for building muscle and regulating the heart’s electrical activity. (6)
- Provides good levels of manganese, copper and iron (particularly the green leaves), which helps maintain muscle and nerve function, build bone strength, regulate blood sugar levels, and promote a healthy immune system. (7)
- Betaine, an amino acid in beets, inhibits the formation of cancer-causing compounds and is protective against colon and stomach cancer. (8)
|Beetroot Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||1|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||10 g||3%|
|Dietary Fibre||3 g||11%|
|Vitamin A 1%||Vitamin C||8%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.