Blackcurrants are fruits from the shrub family and native to central and northern Europe, particularly Siberia.
Blackcurrants consist of a deep blue colour and smooth skin which covers their juicy flesh and tiny edible seeds.
- Abundant in vitamin C levels, with more than 300 percent of the daily recommended value in a 100 gram serving which provides antioxidants that stop free radicals from damaging cells, thus slowing down the rate of ageing and preventing the onset of heart disease and inflammation. (1)
- Packed with B-vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6) and thiamin (vitamin B1) are essential for increasing your metabolic rate. (2)
- Provide 20 percent of the daily value of iron along with protection against immunity deficiencies and fatigue by transporting oxygen to cells. (3)
- Contain contain copper, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, and potassium for optimal cell, tissue, and organ function in the body. (4) (5)
- Provide anthocyanins which is a powerful antioxidant compound that not only gives the currant its deep colour, but also supports vision and provides excellent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits. (6)
- According to the Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) black currants offer one of the highest values of antioxidants among fruits. (7)
|Blackcurrant Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||3|
|Total Fat||0 g||1%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||15 g||5%|
|Dietary Fibre||0 g||0%|
|Vitamin A 5%||Vitamin C||302%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.