Native to the Mediterranean, collard greens are now widely cultivated across the world.
Collard greens are one of the powerhouse vegetables along with several cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage and kale. (1)
- Collard greens are low in calories which promotes weight loss. (2)
- This vegetable has great levels of vitamin K which is beneficial for the strength and development of tissues, muscles and skin. (3)
- Very high in vitamin A which is a great phytonutrient to help increase your vision and promote healthy mucous membranes. (4)
- Collard greens are quite high in vitamin C which is beneficial for helping your body fight unwarranted infections in the body. (5)
- High levels of vitamin B-12 (folate), which is beneficial for helpful for cell division and DNA synthesis, particularly to reduce the risk of anaemia. (6)
- A good source of magnesium which supports the cardiovascular, neuron and nervous system. (7)
- Collard greens lower your cholesterol as they bind to bile acids in the digestive system, which makes it easier for them to exit the body. (8)
Collard Greens Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 3.5 ounces (100 grams), raw
|Calories from Fat||4|
|Total Fat||0 g||1%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||6 g||2%|
|Dietary Fibre||4 g||14%|
|Vitamin A 133%||Vitamin C||59%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.