The kohlrabi vegetable originated in northern Europe and 22 varieties now thrives world-wide, particularly in cool conditions.
Kohlrabi is not a root crop, but a Brassica and thus a member of the cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and broccoli family. The Kohlrabi grows above the ground, and not under the soil, and the bulb that is eaten is actually a part of the plant’s stem.
- Rich in fibre which helps weight management and regulation of the body’s digestive system. (1)
- Provides large supplies of vitamin C which helps to maintain the immune system and healthy teeth. (2)
- A vast number of antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which work to provide autoimmunity and prevent cancer. (3)
- Plentiful in vitamin K which helps to maintain healthy blood pressure levels and strengthen bones. (4)
- It boasts large quantities of vitamin A which promotes eye health. (5)
- Contains B-vitamins which work together to increase the rate of metabolism in the body. (6)
|Kohlrabi Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||1|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||6 g||2%|
|Dietary Fibre||4 g||14%|
|Vitamin A 1%||Vitamin C||103%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.