Leeks have a similar story, but are less pungent than their family members the onion.
Leeks have the appearance of a green top onion, but much larger and cone-shaped with tiny hairs for roots instead of a bulb.
- Sliced or chopped leeks form allicin which contains powerful antioxidants that regulate the liver and offer anti-bacterial protection to the body as well as decrease the risk of developing cancer. (1)
- High in Vitamin A which is vital to help improve the functions of the retina. (2)
- Contain vitamin K which helps to maintain the body’s blood flow and even prevents the onset of Alzheimer’s. (3)
- Provide moderate levels of folic acid (vitamin B-12) which is needed for DNA synthesis and helps reduce the chance of birth defects in new born babies. (4)
- Supply magnesium for healthy bones, niacin (vitamin B-3), riboflavin (vitamin B-2) and thiamine (vitamin B-1) which combine to help reduce harmful Low-Density Lipid (LDL) cholesterol in the blood stream and promotes metabolic functions in the body. (5) (6)
Leeks Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||3|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||14 g||5%|
|Vitamin A 33%||Vitamin C||20%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.