Lucuma is a superfood fruit which is typically grown across mountainous regions of Peru.
Lucuma can be found in its fruit form or more typically in a powder form. The fruit was widely referred to by the Incas as “gold” because of its golden colour and its unique natural sweetness which resembles caramel.
- Traditionally used as an aphrodisiac, consumed to increase the fertility in both men and women as well as promote lactation in women after giving birth. (1)
- Is known for providing good doses of vitamins A and C which helps to form beta-carotene which helps protect vision and provide autoimmunity functions. (2)
- Is particularly high in B-vitamins which is essential to metabolise carbohydrates, proteins and fats. (3)
- Supplies healthy levels of calcium and magnesium which are great to promote cell growth and also to strengthen bones, muscles and tissues. (4)
- Has good levels of potassium, iron and zinc which combine to maintain fluidity between cells and increase the production and flow of red blood cells in the body. (5) (6) (7)
- Low-glycaemic index which helps to stabilise blood sugar levels, making it an ideal -source of sweetness for diabetics. (8)
- Contains a range of antioxidants which are particularly good for providing antimicrobial and anti-carcinogenic support to the body as well anti-inflammatory relief. (9)
- A good source of fibre which supports the digestive system and helps to reduce blood pressure levels. (10)
Lucuma Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 3.5 ounces 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||1.1|
|Total Fat||1.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||57 g|
|Dietary Fibre||26 g|
|Vitamin A 40%||Vitamin C||27%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.