Mangoes were first discovered in India several centuries ago and are in the Anacardiaceous family of plants similarly to pistachios and cashews.
Mango trees can grow up to 100 feet in height and normally flourish in tropical climates. Mangoes have an oval shape which is typically five inches in diameter and contain a large seed in the middle which makes the fruit a drupe.
Mangoes have a yellow to golden tone with patches of green and the fruit beneath the skin is delightfully sweet and juicy when ripe.
- Low in calories which contributes towards weight loss. (1)
- Abundant in vitamin C which supports autoimmunity functions within the body. (2)
- Contains the significant polyphenol; mangiferin, which promotes health by helping to form new blood vessels. (3)
- An excellent source of vitamin A which is essential for maintaining healthy skin, bones and vision. (4)
- Mangoes contain an array of powerful antioxidants which helps to protect the body from cancerous cells. (5)
- Contains omega-3 and omega 6 fatty acids which are essential as they can only be sourced from dietary consumption and promote brain growth and development. (6)
- Mangoes also include potassium, and B-vitamins which are essential to regulate blood flow within the body and control heart rate. (7)
- Mango also contains fibre which is helpful to maintain digestion within the body and helps cleanse the colon. (8)
Mango Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||2|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||17 g||6%|
|Dietary Fibre||2 g||7%|
|Vitamin A 15%||Vitamin C||46%|
|Calcium 1 %||Iron||1%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.