Native to Greece, Oregano is an essential herb which is closely related to wild marjoram.
Oregano is a perennial (lives for more than two years) plant which grows in a wide climate range into a small attractive bush with grey to green leaves which can be eaten fresh or dried.
- An excellent source of fibre which is a beneficial phytonutrient for cleansing the colon and promoting weight loss. (1)
- Good levels of vitamins C and E which provides vital antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin to help neutralise cancerous free radicals in the body. (2)
- A great source of vitamin A which promotes a healthy immune system and vision. (3)
- Provides vitamin K great nutrient to prevent blood clots, cancer and increase bone strength to reduce the risk of osteoporosis. (4)
- Oregano has antiviral and antibacterial properties which can be used as a natural sanitizer to control human norovirus, particularly as it encourages sweat production which helps rid the body of toxins. (5)
- Promotes iron absorption to increase the amount of oxygen delivered to cells around the body and prevent anaemia. (6)
- Healthy amounts of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) which is beneficial for optimal brain and muscle function. (7)
- Provides healthy potassium levels which helps to maintain your heart rate and blood pressure. (8)
- Contains manganese and copper which combine to promote the optimal use of the enzyme superoxide dismutase which is a cofactor that helps eradicate harmful free radicals that cause cellular damage. (9)
- Essential oils from the leaves aid in digestion, prevent gas and have antibacterial and antifungal activities which lowers lipid oxidisation increasing the nutrient content of food. (10)
Oregano Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tsp, leaves, dried
|Calories from Fat||1|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrates||1 g||0%|
|Vitamin A 1%||Vitamin C||1%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.