Plums are believed to be native to China and are a member of the Rosacea (rose) family, thus related to peaches and apricots.
Plums have a smooth skin which comes in differing shades of yellow, green, red, or purple and the slightly translucent pulp is succulently sweet. The richer the colour the higher the antioxidants present which are embedded within the skin membranes of the fruit.
Prunes, are dried plums, however they contain nearly four times the amount of sugar (fructose) and tend to offer less in a way of nutrients than fresh plums.
- Provides significant antibacterial properties and the antioxidants lutein and cryptoxanthin that work to promote macular pigment in human eyes as well as eliminate free radicals in the blood stream which reduce the risk of cancerous cell growth. (1)
- Consist of high levels of vitamin K which promotes the blood clotting process as well as strengthens teeth, bones and skin. (2)
- Provides good levels of fibre which lowers low-density lipid (bad) cholesterol, improving glucose tolerance and stimulates good gut health. (3)
- Has good levels of vitamin A and C which benefits us by improving our autoimmunity functions and decreasing the risk of degenerative diseases and heart disease. (4)
- Contains iron and potassium which promote red blood cell production and regulate the blood around the body respectively. (5)
- Supplies B-vitamins such as vitamins B-2 (niacin), B-5 (pantothenic acid) and B-6 (pyridoxine) which are important in metabolising carbohydrates, fats and proteins. (6)
Plums Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||2|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrates||11 g||4%|
|Dietary Fibre||1 g||6%|
|Vitamin A 7%||Vitamin C||16%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.