Native to the Himalayas and referred to in Persian scriptures, the pomegranate is a member of the Punicaceae family.
The pomegranate is glossy, gold-to-red coloured fruit. The flavour and juiciness improves after several months of dark storage.
The interior of the fruit is filled with approximately 400-600 distinctive ruby-red arils or seed sacs which are split by thin, bitter, white membranes. As well as being attractive, the arils provide a sweet taste and often used as a garnish.
- Low in saturated fat which helps to prevent coronary heart disease and limits bad cholesterol. (1)
- High in vitamin C antioxidants (10 times higher in the peel than the pulp) which promotes autoimmunity and helps to clear mucous. (2)
- High in vitamin E antioxidants and iron which helps to promote healthy skin and transport oxygenated blood around the body respectively. (3)
- High in vitamin K which supports the formation of healthy bones, teeth and skin. (4)
- High in tannins decrease the risk of heart disease due to aggressive free radical-scavenging activities in the body. (5)
- Moderate levels of fibre which help to ease digestion and stimulate bowel movement. (6)
Pomegranate Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Calories from Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g||2%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrates||19 g||6%|
|Dietary Fibre||4 g||16%|
|Vitamin A 1%||Vitamin C||2%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.