Quenepa, also known as Spanish lime are citrus fruits which belong to the Soapberry family and believed to have originated in South American regions including Columbia, Venezuela and the Guianas.
The quenepa tree consists of greenish to white coloured flowers which bear small golf sized fruits which have a green to yellow leathery peel and contain a central seed (making the fruit a drupe) that is surrounded by the edible gelatinous pulp which is similar to the colour of pink salmon. (1)
- Provides good levels of vitamin A which is beneifical for promoting vision as well as providing anti-inflammatory relief. (2)
- Supplies tryptophan which promotes metabolic functions and sleep. (3)
- Consist of vitamin C which helps to eliminate free radicals and therefore prevents the risk of infections, strokes, heart disease, and cancer. (4)
- Contains antidiabetic, anticarcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties in the form of limonoids which can attach itself to sugar molecules and neutralise the negative effects of the sugar. (5) (6)
- Provides phosphorous which is essential in order to stimulate and regulate hormones in the body. (7)
- A good source of fibre which is beneficial in supporting weight loss and cleansing the colon to reduce the risk of colon cancer. (8)
Quenepa Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 100 grams, raw
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrates||19 g||6%|
|Dietary Fibre||0.4 g||2%|
|Vitamin A 10%||Vitamin C||8%|
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie intake.
Disclaimer: The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of ‘My Kitchen Therapy’, unless otherwise mentioned. Each articles is based upon the opinions of the author, who retains copyright as marked. The information on this website is not intended as medical advice and is not intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional. The website is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research of the author and his community. It is encouraged that you make your own health care decisions based upon your research and in partnership with a qualified health care professional. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your health care professional before using products based on this content.